AMON ENGLAND is a representative of one of the pioneer families of East Finley township, this county, who were prominently identified with the early history of that township. The first of the name to settle in America was the great-grandfather of Amon, by name Samuel England, who emigrated from England and located in Philadelphia during the earlier part of the eighteenth century. He had a family of three sons: Samuel, John and Robert.
Samuel England was born in 1756, in Philadelphia, Penn., and at an early age learned the carpenter trade, which he followed in Baltimore for some time. in 1778 he removed to Washington county, where he secured a "tomahawk claim," and acres, located near the headwaters of the Templeton fork of Wheeling creek, adjoining Pleasant Grove in East Finley township. He was married to Tacy Evans, who bore him the following named children, all of whom lived to an adult age: Tacy, Jane, Mary, Hannah, Joseph, Samuel and George. Mr. England was an intelligent and successful man, doing all in his power to improve the county, and advance the interests of its citizens. Politically he was a Whig, and served as 'squire for many years. In religion he was a Quaker, a follower of William Penn. Mrs. England died in 1836, Mr. England in 1838.
Samuel England, father of our subject, was born December 2, 1800, near the present home of his son in East Finley township. He received a limited education, and in early life began to farm, learning also the trade of a cabinet maker and carpenter. On May 1, 1833, he was united in marriage with Emma Given, who was born October 27, 1801, a daughter of Moses Given, of East Finley township, this county, and their children were as follows: Moses G., born January 22, 1834 (a Protestant Methodist minister in Cedar county, Ark.); Samuel T., born April 28, 1835 (a farmer living near Lincoln, Neb.); Tacy, born May 20, 1836 (deceased at the age of nineteen years); Amon (subject of the present memoir); Joel, born November 28, 1839 (residing in Washington county, Iowa), and Mary Ann, born October 7, 1844 (now deceased). After his marriage Mr. England settled near the home of his father, and as years passed by added to his property, until at the time of his death he owned over 1,000 acres of farm land, located in Washington county (Penn.), Illinois and Iowa. Mr. England was a rigid supporter of the temperance cause, and would not allow intoxicating beverages to be given to the workmen during harvest, although such was then the universal custom. He gladly furnished any other refreshments, but would not deviate from his temperance principles. He was a man of exemplary habits, and by industry coupled with shrewd financiering, became very successful in business. The present postoffice, "England," was named in his honor. In politics he was originally a Whig, and after the formation of the Republican party became an active worker in its ranks. He died January 9, 1886, his wife having preceded him to the "Better Land" October 25, 1870.
Amon England was born in East Finley township, Washington Co., Penn., July 7, 1836, and passed his boyhood days on his father's farm. On September 16, 1869, he was married to Deborah J. Knox, born in 1841, a daughter of Joseph Knox, of East Finley township, and they have had two daughters: Margaret E., born November 20, 1870, and Elnora Josephine, born February 10, 1874, both at home. After his marriage Mr. England continued to live with his parents on the home farm, which he now owns, and which is one of the best in the township. He has been a very successful business man, and enjoys the esteem of all acquaintances. In his political preferences he is a member of the Republican party.
Text taken from page 1087 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed February 1997 by Karen Souhrada of Pittsford, NY as part of the Beers Project.
Published February 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]