S.T. JACKMAN is of Teutonic ancestry, his grandparents, William and Barbara (Shively) Jackman, having been natives of the country of the Rhine. They emigrated from Germany before their marriage, which ceremony took place in a fort on the Monongahela river, in Westmoreland county, Penn. In 1788 William Jackman took out a patent for 368 acres of land called "Hobson's choice," in Washington county. He paid the Indians, for their right, $15, a gun, and a blanket. He made a permanent home on this tract, where seven children were born to him, all now deceased. The parents were members of the Baptist Church.
Simeon Jackman, son of William and Barbara (Shively) Jackman, was born, in 1795, in East Pike Run township, Washington Co., Penn., and there attended the subscription schools. In 1819 he was married to Mary Dunlevy, who was born in 1800, in East Pike Run township, and the young couple settled permanently on 100 acres of the original tract (above mentioned) in Allen township. He afterward bought 100 acres from his brother Cyrus, paying him $10 per acres. The following children were born to them: one deceased in infancy; Joseph Wilson, of Henry county, Ill.; Anthony D., a resident of El Dorado, Butler Co., Kans.; Melissa, wife of George Morton, a Presbyterian minister of Indiana county, Penn.; Elizabeth, wife of James Wilson, of McLean county, Ill.; Mary, married to John Steele, of Fayette county, Penn.; Harriet, wife of George Hill, of McLean county, Ill.; William H., living in Wayne county, Ohio; S.T., whose name opens this sketch; Isaac K., living in Los Angeles, Cal., and Sarah D., wife of William Dunlevy, of Butler county, Kans. Of these children Mary, William H., S.T., and Isaac K. are yet living. The father was a Republican, and served for many years as justice of the peace; was also captain in the State Militia. He died in 1881, having been preceded by his wife in 1873. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church.
S.T. Jackman, the only living representative of his family in Washington county, was born October 23, 1835, in Allen township, Washington Co., Penn. He received his earlier education in the subscription schools of the neighborhood, and then took the sophomore year at Washington College. In 1862 he enlisted at Pittsburgh, Penn., in Company F, Eighteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, for three years or during the war, and was afterward promoted to the rank of first lieutenant of Company E, in the same regiment. He served in the battles of Gettysburg, Wilderness, also in the Shenandoah Valley and the Seven Days' fight before Richmond. In 1865 he received an honorable discharge at Cumberland, Md., and returned to the home farm in Allen township, Washington county. On May 20, 1868, he was married to Florence J., daughter of Azariah and Sarah A. (Murphy) Crow, pioneers of Washington county, now living in Howell county, Mo.
Mr. Jackman yet owns ninety-five acres of the original patent. In politics he votes with the Republican party, and served as a member of the school board, assessor and road commissioner of Allen township. Since the Howe cemetery has been established Mr. Jackman has served as treasurer and trustee, and is also a trustee of the Ebenezer M. E. Church, of which he and his wife are members. Their children have been born as follows: Nora Elsie, wife of William Steele, a grocer of West Belle Vernon; Leslie T.; H. Roscoe; Ruby C.; Mary S.; A. Parker; J. Riley (deceased at the age of six years) and Morton Hanson (deceased when seventeen months old). In 1891 Mr. and Mrs. Jackman moved to their present home in West Belle Vernon.
Text taken from page 752 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed January 1997 by Julie Jolly of Knob Noster, MO as part of the Beers Project.
Published January 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]