ANDREW JACKSON. The Jackson family were numbered among the first of those heroic men and women who, leaving childhood's home and early friends, braved innumerable perils to establish civilization in the unbroken wilderness. When we read the record of these early martyrs we may well exclaim with the poet:
Whom do we call our heroes, to whom our praises sing?
The pampered child of fortune, the titled lord or king?
They live by others' labor; take all and nothing give.
The noblest types of manhood are those who work to live.
In 1772 two brothers, Joseph and Philip Jackson, came from their Eastern home in search of Government land, and, crossing the mountains, pushed on till they stood on the western shore of the Monongahela river, within the limits of what is now Washington county. They were finally attracted by the heavy timber and thick shrubbery indicative of fertile soil, and pausing on the boundaries of Hanover township, proceeded to mark out an extensive claim with their tomahawks. Their only weapons were two trusty "flint-locks," with which to defend themselves against the prowling beasts of the forest or a more wily human foe. Traces of Indians were plentiful, and with the utmost caution did the young men move from tree to tree, marking off their claim, and ever listening for the stealthy footfall of moccasined feet. They succeeded in thus taking up an immense tract of land, but desiring to form a colony, returned to their homes before making any improvements. By offering every possible inducement, they persuaded a number to return with them and seek a fortune in the "far West." Any article of clothing was accepted in lieu of payment for land, some giving a hat, or shirt, or any article most easily spared. When the colony was at length fully organized, they bid a last farewell to friends and neighbors, and with the necessary supplies began the toilsome journey over the mountains, finally arriving safely at their destination. A rough shelter of poles and leaves was immediately erected, which was soon supplanted by log cabins, and religious services were then held regularly. In the absence of any minister, prayer meetings were held, and a church being organized, the two Jackson brothers were appointed as the first elders, both of whom contributed liberally to its support. It is impossible to exaggerate the intrepid spirit and untiring energy of these men, who gave their lives that future generations might enjoy the blessings of a prosperous home. The following children were born to Joseph Jackson: Thomas (who moved to Belmont county, Ohio, locating on the farm which is now the site of Centreville), Edward, Fanny (wife of Robert Scott), Rosanna (Mrs. Jonathan Potts) and Deborah (married to Joseph Crawford).
Edward Jackson was reared amid the privations of frontier life, receiving a very limited education, and from early youth assisted in clearing the land. He was married to Rebecca Jackson, a native of Maryland, and daughter of William Jackson (no relation of Edward), who came to Hanover township in an early day. To the union of Edward and Rebecca Jackson sixteen children were born, of whom the following attained an adult age: Elizabeth (Mrs. John Mayhew of Pugh, W. Va.), Mary (wife of David Fulton, of Hanover township), Lydia (Mrs. John McCullough. of Florence), William (of Hanover township), Edward, George, Thomas, Andrew, David, Simeon and Rebecca. Of these Joseph E. and Andrew are yet living. The father was originally a Whig, but during Jackson's administration joined the Democratic party. In religious connection he was a zealous member of the M. E. Church, although reared in the Presbyterian faith. He died in 1848, having been preceded by his wife about five months. They are buried in the cemetery at Florence.
Andrew Jackson was born January 31, 1815, on the old home place, where his grandfather had settled forty years before. He attended the rate schools a few months during the winter season, but was early trained to farm work, his first duty in that line being to walk along with his father and keep the weeds from the coulter with a stick, as the farmer plowed with a wooden mould board. On February 18, 1849, Andrew Jackson was married to Sarah Campbell, who was born March 15, 1818, a daughter of Launcelot Campbell, of Smith township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have had two children, viz.: Margaret Sylvania (Mrs. Jonathan Tucker, of Hanover township) and Ellsworth (an agriculturist of Hanover township). The parents began wedded life on their present farm, which he purchased from the heirs of Judge Redick, who were then living in Illinois. Mr. Jackson has devoted his entire attention to his farm, which has prospered under his care. He is a most agreeable companion, possessing an interesting fund of general information. Politically he was formerly a Whig, and now votes the Republican ticket, but is not bound by party lines on special occasions, and is a bitter enemy of monopolies in every form. He is a member of the M. E. Church, his wife being identified with the Presbyterian Society.
Text taken from page 1438 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed January 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published January 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]