JAMES M. K. REED. Among the leading citizens of Cross Creek township none are more prominently identified with the interests of the community than the above-named gentleman.
Joseph Reed, the first of the family of whom mention is made, was born November 27, 1733, in Ireland, whence he emigrated to America prior to the year 1763. He first located in Lancaster county, Penn., and in 1763 moved to York county, same State. On January 23, 1765, he was united in marriage with Jeanette Brotherton, who was born December 3, 1745, in Ireland, and when two years of age was brought by her parents to America. To this marriage children were born as follows: James, June 7, 1766; Nicholas, April 17, 1768; Agnes, May 8, 1770; Margaret, October 8, 1772; Jeanette, May 1, 1776; Esther, December 24, 1780; Joseph, May 6, 1784; Ann, December 16, 1787, and William, April 18, 1790. Of these, Agnes married her relative, Joseph Reed (who had been in the Continental army during the Revolution), and they came in 1789 to Washington county, where they continued to reside; they are buried in Cross Creek graveyard; their children afterward removed to Armstrong county, Penn. James married his second cousin, Elizabeth Reed, removed to Washington county about 1798, and settled on 200 acres of Col. Reed's 359-acre tract; they reared a family of six children: Joseph, married to Jane Beatty, settled in Richland county, Ohio, and raised a family; William, married to Rosannah, daughter of Robert and Sarah (Rea) Lyle, settled in Ashland county, Ohio (they are the parents of Hon. Joseph R. Reed, now chief justice of U. S. Court of Land Claims); James, married to Margaret Glass, died near Washington, Penn., leaving children; John, married, and moved to Hardin county, Ky., and has three daughters; Jane died unmarried; Mary married Joseph Lyle (now deceased), and resides with her son, James Reed Lyle, near Hickory, Washington Co., Penn. Margaret married James McNary, came to Washington county and settled on part of Col. Reed's 359-acre tract. She raised a family of three sons and three daughters, all of whom married and left descendants. Many of her descendants still live in this county. She died May 25, 1866, and is buried in Hickory graveyard. The other sons and daughters of Col. Reed remained in York county, where many of their descendants still reside.
In 1780 Joseph Reed received of Col. Marshall a farm consisting of 190 acres seventy-five perches and allowances, making over 200 acres, patented as "Pensacola," in Cross Creek township, Washington county. This was given in payment for moving the household effects of Rev. Joseph Smith from York county to Washington county, Penn., and the wagon used is said to have been the first driven west of Washington. He then bought 359 additional acres of Col. Marshall, which is now a part of the McNary tract, owned by John L. Thompson & Bro., but did not move from his old home. Mr. Reed was a miller and farmer. He was a member of the Legislature of Pennsylvania in 1780, having presented the Act leading to the liberation of the slaves in Pennsylvania, and was a member of the Continental Congress in 1787 and 1788. He held the commission of colonel in the American army during the war of the Revolution, and acted for some time in the capacity of quartermaster. He died October 19, 1804, at the age of seventy-one, and is buried in Chanceford graveyard, York county, Penn. His widow came to Washington county after his death, and died January 27, 1838; she is buried in Cross Creek graveyard. She and her young sons, James and Nicholas, operated the mill during the absence of her husband in the army.
Nicholas Reed was born at Reed's Mill, in York county, Penn, and in early life was married to Elizabeth, daughter of James Fulton, of same county. In 1797 the young people settled on the farm in Cross Creek township, Washington county, which had been bought of Col. James Marshall. It was then all heavily timbered woods. Nicholas erected a log cabin where the house of J. C. Reed is now standing, which in 1867 replaced the first. Nicholas Reed passed away in 1854, leaving the following children: Joseph, who settled in Richland county, Ohio; James, who died September 22, 1823, in Huron county, Ohio; William; Hugh, who settled in Richland county, Ohio; Samuel, in Marion county, Ohio; John, in Wabash county, Ind.; Robert, who died unmarried; Jane, who died unmarried; and Eliza, married to James Wilson, and has one daughter, Mrs. Eliza J. Burns, near Claysville, Penn.
William Reed was born February 10, 1801, in Cross Creek township, Washington Co., Penn., and in early life learned the trade of a cabinet maker. In 1828 he was united in marriage with Isabella, daughter of Robert and Isabella (McKenzie) Curry, and they then made their first home in Cross Creek village. In 1836 they came to his father's farm in this county, whence in 1840 they went to Allegheny county, finally returning to Washington county in 1844. In 1855, by purchase, he became owner of his father's farm in "Pensacola." In 1859 he deeded 103 acres of his farm to his son, James M. K. Reed, in consideration of $4,000, and the remainder was left to John C. Reed, who is residing on the old homestead. To William and Isabella (Curry) Reed were born children as follows: Eliza J., June 14, 1829, died October 25, 1890, unmarried; James M. K., September 5, 1831; Isabella M., January 16, 1836, married Eli Marquis, and died December 28, 1865, leaving one daughter, Flora M. Pyles, of Orange county, Cal.; and John C., March 6, 1838, residing on the old homestead. The father of these children died in February, 1877, the mother October 1, 1849. William Reed was much honored in his community, taking an active interest in the general welfare of the county, and holding various positions of trust and honor in his township. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a trustee of the same.
J. M. K. Reed received a liberal common-school education, and at the age of twenty years began teaching a district school. In the spring of 1852 he entered Pittsburgh Commercial College, from which he graduated. During the following summer he studied privately under the instruction of Robert Curry, Ph. D., principal of Canonsburg union schools, and then again taught school, continuing until 1860, during the winter months. One summer he taught with Dr. Curry in West Manchester (now a part of Allegheny), and one summer was professor of penmanship in the New Brighton Female Seminary, established by Dr. Curry.
On October 28, 1858, Mr. Reed married Miss Mary P. Tucker, who was born in Merrimack county, N. H., a daughter of David and Clarissa Tucker, who in 1849 removed to Richland county, Ohio. John Tucker, grandfather of Mrs. Reed, came from Scotland to New Hampshire, and he was a son of Ezra, who was a son of Jacob. David Tucker was a prominent man in New Hampshire, was a justice of the peace, and prior to his marriage he went to Ohio, where he entered land, to which he afterward finally moved. Mrs. Reed, before marriage, taught several terms in common schools of Ohio. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Reed settled on their present farm in Cross Creek township, their first residence thereon being a log house built in 1826 by an uncle, Hugh Reed, and which is still standing. In 1879 our subject erected the present fine house, and in 1889 his commodious barn. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. J. M. K. Reed were as follows: Clara Bell, born August 29, 1859 (a teacher in the public schools of Imperial, Allegheny Co., Penn.); Irene Jane, born January 24, 1861 (married June 2, 1887, to John H. Chapman, and they now reside in Hanover township, Washington county); Clinton May, born May 1, 1864, died June 1, 1866; Alice Mary, born May 14, 1867 (a teacher); Mabel Blanche, born November 30, 1870; Alma Livonia, born June 12, 1874; and James Winfield, born January 30, 1878. The parents are members of the Cross Creek Presbyterian Church (in which Mr. Reed has been trustee several years; he was formerly member of the U. P. Church at Patterson's Mills). Politically he is a Democrat, and has served as school director, auditor, supervisor, and he is now serving his fourth term (of five years each) as justice of the peace. He is one of the original incorporators, stockholders and directors of the Cross Creek Cemetery Association, and, being their secretary, largely assisted in laying out and starting their beautiful cemetery at Cross Creek village.
Text taken from page 822 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed March 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published March 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]