JAMES TUCKER, a representative of one of the pioneer families of Washington county, comes of English descent, his ancestors having emigrated to Virginia in the early part of the eighteenth century. They settled in the Shenandoah Valley, where James Tucker (from whom the present generation trace their genealogy) was born. In 1775 he came to Pennsylvania and secured a "tomahawk right" in Amwell township, Washington county, and the land remained in the possession of the family until 1891, when it was sold. At the early date he came here but one settler was in the vicinity, a Mr. Bane. Mr. Tucker was married to Elizabeth Bane, a resident of Virginia, and the following children brightened the rude pioneer home: Isaac, Tempest, Thomas, Joseph, James, Rachel, Ruth, Hannah, Elizabeth and Mary. Mr. Tucker was a member of the Baptist Church at Mt. Herman.
Tempest Tucker was born in Amwell township, Washington Co., Penn., April 1, 1776, and passed his earlier years on the farm of his father. In 1800 he was united in marriage with Sarah McClain, who bore him five children: John, James, Elizabeth, Phoebe (Mrs. Adam Weir) and Sarah. After his marriage Mr. Tucker built a grist-mill, which was one of the first water mills in Washington county, and was situated on Bane's fork of Ten-Mile creek. He remained on that farm utitil 1851, when he removed to the place now occupied by the subject of this sketch. Mr. Tucker accumulated a comfortable property, the result of his early toil. He was a member of the Baptist Church at Mt. Herman, and a liberal contributor to that Society. He died on the farm in February, 1854, his wife on August 30, 1851, and the remains of both rest in the cemetery at Mt. Herman.
John Tucker was born in Ainwell township, Washington Co., Penn., May 23, 1803, and lived at home until about twenty years of age, when he served an apprenticeship of three years with Patter-son Pollock, a leading wheelwright of Greene county, Penn. He then followed that vocation in Greene and Washington counties, until about the year 1853, when he retired to the farm, and built the grist-mill at Meadow Lands. On November 10, 1831, he was married to Isabelle, daughter of William McClenathan, and the following children were born to them: Sarah (Mrs. Stephen Post), William M., James and John (deceased). In 1841 Mr. Tucker purchased the farm of 200 acres upon which his father resided. In politics he was a Republican, and served several terms as school director. His wife passed away March 13, 1873, and he followed her March 15, 1875.
James Tucker, the subject proper of this sketch, was born September 7, 1839, in Amwell township, Washington county, and obtained his early education at the same school-house his father had attended. Mr. Tucker has ever been a zealous member of the Presbyterian Church, and in political opinion he is a Republican. His farm comprises 200 acres of land.
William M. Tucker (an elder brother of James) was born in Amwell township, Washington county, August 14, 1836, and received his education at the same school-house which his father had attended in his boyhood days. On October 18, 1860, William M. Tucker was married to Sarah, daughter of Thomas Weir, and they then settled on the home farm where they yet reside. Their children are Thomas Weir (married to Mrs. Mattie Crosgray Thomas), John G., Ettie F. and William C. He is an active worker in the Republican party, and has been school director twenty-six years in succession. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Upper Ten-Mile.
Text taken from page 1280 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed January 1997 by Jean Suplick Matuson of Plano, TX as part of the Beers Project.
Published January 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]