THOMAS HUDSON WILLIAMS (deceased) was born August 8, 1834, in Carroll township, Washington Co., Penn., a son of James and Nancy (Manown) Williams. James Williams, whose father came from Ireland in an early day, was also a native of Washington county, born July 4, 1801, was educated at the subscription schools and reared to the occupation of a farmer. He married Nancy, daughter of William Manown, of Allegheny county, Penn., and the children born to them were as follows: William, Margaret (Mrs. A. C. Sampson), John, Thomas H., Sarah (Mrs. Aaron Browdy), Robert, Leomon, David and Frank. In 1828 Mr. Williams settled on the home place in Carroll township, and here died October 4, 1869, his widow following him to the grave June 12, 1892. In addition to plain farming he was a prominent stock raiser and dealer. He was a director of the Monongahela cemetery. Politically he was originally a Whig, and on the formation of the party became a Republican; in matters pertaining to religion he was a member and zealous supporter of the M. E. Church.
Thomas H. Williams, the subject of these lines was educated at a private school in Monongahela, and at the age of sixteen entered Duff's Business College in Pittsburgh. On leaving this, in 1852, he set sail from New York for California, via Cape Horn, the voyage consuming six weeks. On his arrival at the "New Eldorado" he at once commenced to work in the mines, at which he continued two years; then was engaged in banking at Maripoza, with Sullivan & Cashman, with whom he remained until 1858, when he returned home by the same route he went. We next find Mr. Williams at Pittsburgh, where he was engaged in the wholesale grocery business for two years; from there he went to Oil City, where for fifteen years he was engaged in general merchandising and oil producing. In 1875 he returned to Monongahela, and purchased the home farm, where he passed the remainder of his days, dying June 11, 1891. On September 21, 1859, he was united in marriage with M. Frances, daughter of Aaron Browdy, of Allegheny, and four children were born to them, viz.: Harry, Mattie, Bertha (deceased), and Frances (living). Mr. Williams was a Republican, and at one time served as mayor of Monongahela; in church connection he was a prominent and influential Presbyterian. In all educational matters he took special interest, and was instrumental in having the present public-school building erected; being at the time secretary of the school board and president of the building committee. He was kind- hearted and generous to a fault, and was recognized by all as a public-spirited, upright citizen. His widow is a resident of Monongahela.
Text taken from page 966 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed March 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published March 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]