Editor, Jefferson College Times
What follows is the most recent issue of the Jefferson College Times, modified for the electronic medium.
Revised 4 March 2000
The Jefferson College Historical Society will next meet on March 15, 2000, at 8 p.m. in the rooms of the society, North Central Avenue, Canonsburg, located on the lower floor of the auditorium building. Guests are welcome. The board of directors will meet at 7:30.
John DeMay, a retired attorney from Bethel Park, will describe the life of settlers on the Western Pennsylvania frontier. Our speaker is the author, with retired history teacher Richard Gaetano, of The Settlers and Forts of Western Pennsylvania and is currently working on a book about women on the frontier.
The cover photograph of the print version of the Times is from a glass negative exposed by Howard M. Taylor on October 15, 1911, entitled "Road through Neill's Woods." It is one of several hundred negatives, mostly 4 by 5-inch glass, taken in the early decades of the 1900s. We are indeed grateful that Howard had such a sense of history that he preserved the negatives and identified most of them. In many cases he added description or observations; in this case, "Remarks-The watering trough that stood at the intersection where Fulton Road takes off is shown. A real horse and buggy days negative-and good too. Should make very good prints or enlargements. Of special interest to H. M. Taylor for memories and age."
We are indebted to Irene Taylor (Howard's daughter-in-law) and his grandson, Howard, for providing this rich collection of images. The Howard M. Taylor Photographic Collection will be a rich source of information for generations to come. Examples of the photographs and Howard's captions are in this issue. More will be published from time to time.
Following the Civil War, Jefferson College merged with Washington College and left town. Its replacement as Canonsburg's economic base, industry, required railroad service. This article recounts the building and early history of the Chartiers Valley Branch of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, & St. Louis Railroad which was owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
We are closing in on the bicentennials of both Jefferson College and the Borough of Canonsburg (both were incorporated in 1802). There will be much to do in the next few years. At the March meeting we will be selecting the officers who will begin the preparations for the events.
1999 Officers: Paul Katrencik., president; Kathleen Kirr, vice- president; Lois Ahwesh, secretary; Joseph A. Solobay, treasurer; directors Mary Lou Underkoffler ('00), Wilburt Scott ('01), David Westwater ('02), and James T. Herron, Jr. (past president).
The back cover of this issue features post card views of Strabane, many years ago.
Are your dues in? Sure?